(Originally distributed at December 6, 2022 Council meeting)
The SRTA Professional Development committee is excited to let you know that a new category of funding will be available to all SRTA members on January 1, 2023. This new category for Indigenous/Treaty/Reconciliation Education opportunities, will make $5,000 available from last year’s surplus carry-over. We have created the following guidelines for this new category in consultation with the SRTA Indigenous Education committee, the Manitoba Teachers’ Society, and the Seine River School Division:
Indigenous/Treaty/Reconciliation Education: PD opportunities that enhance a member’s understanding of topics related to Indigenous education, treaty education, and/or reconciliation.
- $125 accessible per member for the 2022-2023 school year.
- Allowable expenses limited to professional materials, workshop/registration costs, kilometrage, and honorariums for Indigenous elders and knowledge keepers ($200 per session). No costs related to purchase of materials for student use will be covered.
- To be clear, if an elder or knowledge keeper is being brought in for a session, this session needs to take place with two or more members. We encourage members to communicate with the SRSD Indigenous Education Consultant (Sandy Turcotte) for guidelines related to meetings with elders or knowledge keepers.
- No substitute costs will be covered.
- Funds for Indigenous/Treaty/Reconciliation Education opportunities are guaranteed until June 30, 2022.
- Members can access this category regardless of whether they have accessed other categories of funding in 2022-2023.
If you have any questions about applying for this new category of funding, please email SRTA PD Chair Karen Smit at firstname.lastname@example.org.